As a Poll Worker, you will be providing a vital civic duty to ensure that the right to vote is preserved. It is also a great way to serve your community, get involved in the democratic process, and earn extra money!
Requirements: To be eligible you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age and a registered voter in the state of California.
- Read, write, and understand English.
- Volunteer for four days (October 31 - November 3, 2020)
- Attend a mandatory 2 hour training session.
- Have transportation to the polling place.
Workday: Due to the current public health emergency, we are reducing the number of polling locations and increasing the number of days the polling locations will be open. Poll workers will work for four days including Election Day. Poll worker hours on these four days will be:
- Saturday, October 31; Sunday, November 1; and Monday, November 2 from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. each day.
- Tuesday, November 3 from 6:00 a.m. to approximately 9:30 p.m.
Roles & Stipends: There are 3 roles available: Clerk, Assistant Supervisor and Supervisor
- Clerk: $100 per day.
- Assistant Supervisor: $135 per day.
- Supervisor: $175 per day.
- Training: $20 per 2-hour session.
- Bilingual Pay: $10 per day.
Note: To be eligible to receive bilingual pay, poll workers must be fluent in English and Cantonese, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Mandarin, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, or Vietnamese.
Duties: The main duties are:
- Prepare, open, and close the polling place.
- Distribute and receive official ballots for voters.
- Assist voters in every aspect of the voting process.
Additional Precautions: Due to the current public health emergency:
- Poll workers will be provided with face masks, face shields, gloves, hand sanitizer, and cleaning supplies.
- All high-touch surfaces will be cleaned throughout the day.
- If a face covering order is in effect, voters without a face mask will be offered one.
How to Apply: Download and print the Poll Worker Application [pdf]. Complete the application and mail, fax, or email it to the Registrar of Voters office.